Chateau d’Artigny, built in 1912
The first edifice was a fortress built on the hilltop (Le Puy): a perfect location during the Hundred Year’s War. If the location was still an asset in 1912, the new owner François Coty, famous perfume magnate, did not approve the incongruous building set over the centuries and successive restorations. He had a new château built, on the model of the château de Champlâtreux in the Val d’Oise (North-West of Paris).
François Coty, whose real name was Spoturno, had incredible demands. The chapel at the entrance of the château was to be an exact copy of the one in Versailles but a quarter of the size. The installations were grandiose: the washbasins were in marble and the kitchen sinks in copper, the floors were in multicoloured marble, the woodwork was carved from the block and the capitals of the columns were decorated with ivy leaves, acanthus, laurel, etc.
The kitchen was in white marble, the pastry room in pink and green marble and the linen room on two floors had 140 cupboards in citron wood or Macassar ebony inlaid with mother of pearl… Building work began in 1912 and ended in 1929. However, François Coty did not live there very long since he died in 1934.
On his death, the château was sequestered by his many creditors. During the Second World War, it was occupied in succession by the general staff of the Ministry of the Navy, German troops until 1942, and it was an annex of the Tours Hospital until 1946. Christiane Coty, the perfumer’s daughter, inherited it in 1947.